Off Road Werkz

To Unite the 4 Wheel Drive Community in Ventura County California.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Re-routing exhaust head tube on TJ/LJ

Go down 
AuthorMessage
06Rubicon

PostSubject: Re-routing exhaust head tube on TJ/LJ   Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:15 pm

After installing a lift kit and JKS QD sway bar links I discovered the U-Joint on the front drive shaft will hit the head tubes on my 2006 Rubicon LJ when the sway bar links are disconnected and the driver's front tire is fully compressed under load, such as crawling over a big rock.

Of course, I found this out the hard way by wearing a hole through the lower head tube after a trip up Miller's Jeep Trail. So, I had Performance Exhaust re-route the lower head tube around the rear of the oil pan, and they did a great job!

They tucked the new tube neatly between the oil pan and transmission bell housing so it won't get hung up, and it won't interfere with draining the engine oil. Plus, there is plenty of room to access the starter should I ever have to replace that. The cost was under $200, which seemed fair to me.

This changed the exhaust tone too - now it has a deeper rumble at idle. Bonus!

I'll post pics in the near future.

If you have a newer TJ or LJ with dual pre-cats and twin head pipes, and you want the front axle to fully articulate by installing some quick disconnecting sway bar links, I suggest you re-route the lower head pipe before do any hard offroading. Peace!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa38/teetsup/Hungry%20Valley%

Re-routing exhaust head tube on TJ/LJ
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Off Road Werkz :: Topics :: Jeep Tech-
Jump to: